My Experiments – July Log:
I did another 5-day water-only fast (4th time in 2 years). Health benefits from fasting include a “house cleaning” of damaged/dead cells, reducing cancer risk and allowing the strong and healthy cells to thrive. It seems to get easier each time I do it and I’m actually looking forward to my next one in December. This time around I did a thorough blood work and microbiome analysis. I would recommend everyone try at least a one-day fast to, at the very least, re-sensitize yourself to the felling of hunger. When you fast, you quickly realize how much eating is just habit and not necessarily the need for more energy.
Entertainment Of The Month — I’m Currently Testing Out:
I recently purchased this roll-out needle mat/sleep induction mat which is designed to activate certain acupressure points that can lead to:
- back and neck pain relief
- induced state of complete relaxation while reducing aches, pain, stress and tension
- improved sleep, circulation, and mood
The first 30-60 seconds minutes can be somewhat uncomfortable but strangely you become very relaxed. You just have to sit with the discomfort briefly to experience the benefits.
- TIME, 12 Ways to Burn Fat Without Setting Foot In the Gym — Shake a leg: Enjoying a holiday movie binge? During commercials, stand up, pace and fidget. Mayo Clinic research shows that doing this can crush an extra 350 calories over the course of a day. Also good: This can help counteract the negative effects of sitting down for long periods of time
- Live Science, The 4 Types of Exercise You Need to Be Healthy — When you think of exercise, you may imagine strenuous activities such as running or biking — the ones that make you breathe hard, turn flush and drip with sweat. But aerobic activity is only one type of exercise, and although it is critical for boosting fitness, there are actually three other types of exercise that are also important: strength training, balance training and flexibility training. “While aerobic exercise is very important, it’s not as effective for overall health” when done alone compared with when people include all four types of exercise in their routine, said Dr. Edward Laskowski, co-director of the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center in Rochester, Minnesota. “They all kind of go together” and complement each other, Laskowski said..
What I was up to last month:
I’ve created a private facebook group where I’m posting my workouts along with the active recovery I do each day. I’m using the group to hold myself accountability for exercising on a consistent basis and incorporating more active recovery into my routine. The workouts are CrossFit-style — short but intense, designed to build resiliency, durability, and longevity while improving speed and strength. They are not the typical mass-gain protocol like “back and bis”. Feel free to join if you’re interested in doing similar workouts, all of which can be done at any gym or at home with a few pieces of inexpensive equipment.
Coffee: A Delicious Delivery System to Light Up Your Brain
I love coffee and it’s a perfect delivery system for some powerful brain-enhancing ingredients. Here’s what I currently put in my morning coffee for a cognitive boost and improved brain health.